Sunday, June 11, 2023

Presenting the Message

I debated if this was even worth mentioning, let alone devoting a blog post to, so know this one’s gonna be quick. 

On Saturday my family went back to Nauvoo. Are we gluttons for punishment? Perhaps I am. Perhaps there were geodes twenty minutes away. Perhaps there was root beer we missed last time. Perhaps I didn’t get my hands on one of the “Nauvoo” tourist bricks that I’ve so desperately coveted since I didn’t get one last year. Whatever the reason, I wanted to go back.

This time, we went to Nauvoo when everything was open. There were other families wandering around, Community of Christ buildings were open, and we even managed to wander onto a wagon ride!

Seeing sites presented by Mormons, and sites presented by Community of Christ members was… enlightening. And I wanted to talk about that.

One of the first rules they told us, getting on our wagon ride, was, “Photographs are encouraged! But please no videos or audio!” She also stressed multiple times that she wanted us to save our questions for the end, and just listen.

My husband and I shared a suspicious glances, though respected the requests. Instead, we just paid extra close attention to what was being taught. Because, guaranteed, if they don’t want you being able to quote them, what they’re saying is important.

  1. They stressed twice that Joseph Smith was jailed despite… *checks notes* “He did absolutely nothing wrong.” 
  2. The road which led to the Mississippi River crossing was renamed the “Trail of Hope” by Gordon B Hinckley. This is nothing other than purely inspiring, because of how optimistic the Mormons’ futures would be, and definitely had nothing to do with the fact that they had been calling it the “Trail of Tears.” … O_o
  3. “Brigham Young and his wife...” 
That last one is always worth a good laugh. They’ve pulled that one with Brigham Young quite a bit. Teachings of the President Brigham Young, in particular, used that line a lot. 

The whole ride, as an ex-Mormon amateur historian, was wildly entertaining, and would have been more entertaining if we hadn’t been wrestling a baby who was intrigued by horses drawing a wagon for about the first five minutes, and increasingly less so for the last twenty-five.

Suspiciously, though, I don’t know if it was the fact that I was wearing a top that showed my shoulders - scandalous - but generally, their treatment of us was… frightened. Again, I was on my best behavior and didn’t say a word. But they called a couple sister missionaries “on their lunch breaks” to come sit behind us on the wagon ride, as if to keep us under control. Not to talk to us, but to watch us? To stop us from angrily interrupting the tour? Because we’d expressly been told not to talk.

Once we were off the wagon, I did have a question for the tour guide sister, though.

“I noticed the brickyard is closed! We were hoping to get one of those Nauvoo bricks! Where do we go to find those?”

So yes, I jolly well did go to the center to watch the brick demonstration. And I learned how to make bricks, thank you very much. But again? No missionaries running up to volunteer to help us. We had to ask. It was all very… tense.

Then we went to the Red Brick Store, where Community of Christ runs the show. 

We were met with rows and rows of “anti-Mormon literature” books for sale, metal buttons that said “Joseph Smith for President!” And just as many stating “Emma Smith for President!” We laughed with the ladies behind the counters - It’s funny because… he DID run for President… 

They leaned into the honest, frank humor of the history, right along with us. We laughed with them about how we’d just learned about “Brigham Young’s WIFE,” and purchased harmonicas and matching red bonnets for the baby and me. And root beer. Danged good root beer.

Community of Christ stopped trying to hide from their history decades ago. They learned from it, and moved on. Mormonism continues, desperately, to try and hide their history, while simultaneously trying to inspire their membership by a white-washed version of it. And it has made them stiff and scared. 

I was a woman who wanted a brick and some cheap weekend entertainment for my kids, as well as a drive along the Mississippi. I didn’t intend to raise Hell. But by merely existing outside the status quo, with tattoos and shoulders, Hell I raised. (Literally. Sister missionaries babysitting us on the wagon ride, as backup.) 

Thank you, Mormonism, and most especially Community of Christ, for reminding me that authenticity is important. That comfort with yourself and your past is what makes for good company. 





1 comment:

  1. Hey Murphy! It is amazing to see you living your best life! You seem so happy! I LOVE THAT! thank you for so many great times through school and all the laughs!

    ReplyDelete